Thursday 29 January 2015

Paper Towns Book Review... actually more of a discussion than a review

I read TFIOS in the summer and fell in love with John Green's writing style. His contemporary storylines and captivating characters are so easy to get into; when I pick up one of his books I can't put it down until I'm done.
(Anecdote: my friend Shelby lent me a copy of the book, and it was sitting in my purse at work. When I went on my break I found that there was a full latte that someone had left in the back dumped over, upside down inside my purse. It completely destroyed the book, but nothing much else, thank goodness. But the pages rae all still readable and not stuck together... so now it just looks badass, like it's been through a lot.)
After TFIOS I read Looking for Alaska, which was a great book, but it didn't resonate with me in the same way Paper Towns did. I think a huge reason for this is one of the big themes in Paper Towns- letting your imagination deceive you. Q has an imaginary version of Margo Roth Spiegelman in his mind, but comes to realize that his false understanding of Margo is only leading him farther from her. Literally, in his search for her, and figuratively, in his quest to try to understand her. There is no way for one human to imagine their way into really being and understanding another human. He can only see her as well he perceives her. The problem is that he perceives her to be some kind of supergirl of higher intelligence and ability than is even remotely realistic. He learns not to let his imagined idea of Margo Roth Spiegelman spoil the real Margo Roth Spiegelman for him. A similar incidence happens with his best friend Ben. They fight and argue because Ben repeatedly lets Q down, and Q repeatedly lets Ben down, until Radar points out to them that the only reason for their disappointment is expecting the other to be someone that they're not. Once Q learns to love Ben for being Ben, instead of hating Ben for not being what he is not, their friendship is mended.
Why is this relevant to me? Because I tend to have really high expectations. I assume things will happen because I think they should, and they never really work out that way. Particularly with people- my friends and family.  I'm learning to let go of my expectations, because the person who said "expect nothing, and you will never be disappointed" was absolutely right. If you expect nothing at all, you can only be happily surprised. If your expectations are constantly too high, you will constantly be let down.
Now that's not to say all expectations are bad. There's just something to be said for realizing which ones are realistic and healthy, and which ones will only cause you pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment