Monday 2 February 2015

The Story of How I Won Roll-Up-The-Rim at Starbucks

Today I was walking to my second class of the day, thinking about grabbing a coffee when someone with a Roll-Up-the-Rim cup walked past me. I thought, "YESSSSSS, the time of year during which I can shamelessly gamble while buying coffee has returned!" I go to Tim Hortons a seriously embarrassing number of times during roll-up-the-rim season. Nothing is more satisfying than winning a coffee from a free coffee from a free coffee. Even though that has actually happened to me maybe once or twice, the mere possibility that it can happen is enough for me to stray from Starbucks- the coffeehouse to which I am usually loyal and provides me with the quality beverage I desire (not to mention my partner discount), to Tim Hortons, where the probability of my drink tasting the way I want it to is even lower than the probability of me winning Roll-Up-The-Rim.
This brings me to my riveting story of the day the best of both worlds collided when I won a free coffee from Tim Hortons while working a shift at Starbucks. 

It may come as a surprise, but in my 1 1/2 years of employment at Starbucks #4995, I have noticed that probably 75% of the garbage we collect in our drive-thru bin are cups from other coffee-selling establishments. I like to think that they wound up in our garbage can because our customers attempt to purchase a coffee elsewhere, take a few sips and realize that they have made a huge mistake, and immediately drive right to our store to replace their drink with something delicious and made with love by one of my coworkers or myself. I am aware that this is likely not to be the case.

One day when I was emptying the drive-thru garbage, I noticed a Tim Hortons cup sitting on the top of the garbage, in practically immaculate condition, rim-unrolled. I figured there was no harm in checking to see if it was a win, I couldn't think of any horrible diseases I could contract from picking up a used paper cup. As it turns out, it was a winner! My coworkers shamed me for my excitement because a) I was enthusing about Tim Hortons while wearing a green Starbucks apron and b) I had just picked through the garbage to receive something of a $1.70 value. My excitement was not hindered.

After class today, Kelsey and I (its our 9 month anniversary today, yay us!) grabbed breakfast and then coffee from Tims. I am currently drinking it and will keep you posted as to whether or not I am a winner.

Update: I didn't win. 

1 comment: